Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Remove all unused Ubuntu Kernel images, headers and modules

Seeing that my linux box is running low on free space I decided to remove all unused Linux kernel images on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.
For some unknown reason Ubuntu Tweak refused to install properly so I decided to go a different way and used the command from this blog article.

The command mentioned in the blog is

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge  


If you don't understand what this command does I recommend to dig into the topic. I must admit it is a little bit complex, but the command is working well.

Use it at your own risk!

Now my system is cleaned up and still boots the correct and latest kernel. All other kernel images, headers and modules are completely removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment